When I was young, there were times that our family didn't eat meat. My mom would prepare a lot of meals using tofu and freezing the tofu was one of the ways she would prep it. By freezing the tofu, you are changing the texture, absorbency, and pliability of the tofu. I just through the entire block in the freezer in its packaging and remove it from the freezer and letting it defrost in the fridge for 24 hours. It will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator after being thawed completely. Remove all excess liquid from the tofu before marinating or adding any seasoning.
Sheet Pan Tofu and Cauliflower
- 1 Oven, airfryer
- 1 pound tofu frozen and defrosted (see notes)
- 1 head cauliflower stem removed and sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce Sambal
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ½ cup filtered water
- ¼ cup arrowroot or cornstarch
- Defrost frozen tofu overnight in the refrigerator. Remove all excess liquid. Slice tofu into ½ inch thick pieces (about 8 slices). Pour one tablespoon of the marinade over each piece of tofu. Set aside in the refrigerator while you prep cauliflower.
- Add remaining marinade to a large bowl. Add cauliflower pieces and toss in marinade. Set aside.
- Place arrowroot or cornstarch onto a plate. Lightly dredge both sides of tofu in the powder. Shake off excess, and place on an oiled sheet pan, with space in between. Place cauliflower around tofu, allowing space between tofu and cauliflower; you may need an additional sheet pan to allow plenty of room.
- Bake in preheated oven or air fryer at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Flip the tofu halfway through. If using two pans, rotate pans halfway through.
- Freezing tofu will change the texture of the block of tofu, creating a firmer, more absorbent vehicle for your marinade, spice mix, or coating. Freezing will also allow the tofu to maintain its shape during cooking.
- I freeze the entire block and let it defrost overnight in the refrigerator, knowing I will be preparing it in the next three days. To save time, you can prep the tofu by cutting it into cubes and placing it on a sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for 1 hour, place tofu cubes in a freezer-safe bag, remove all the air, seal the bag, and place it back in the freezer. Remove the frozen cubes as needed.
I recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]: