Welcome to our kitchen! If you're in search of a scrumptious salad that's bursting with flavors and a delightful medley of ingredients, you're in the right place. Our Curry Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries is a dish that's sure to satisfy your cravings. Packed with the goodness of juicy chicken, crisp apples, and sweet cranberries, this recipe is perfect for any occasion and especially a great addition to weekly meal prep. Whether it's a quick weekday lunch or a fancy weekend brunch, you can count on this salad to impress your taste buds. Homemade chicken salad has a close place in my heart, it's in 1980's classic, and a meal I grew up with. When my Mom would need catering for lunch she often order from a local cafe and they made the best chicken salad, placed in between a croissant. The used red grapes, crunchy celery, and tender chicken mixed with a creamy mayo and sliced almonds. My mouth waters just thinking about this glorious sandwich.
Combining my memories of the cafe's chicken salad with the easy curried chicken salad my Oma made, I came to create this recipe for Curry Chicken Salad, a twist on the classic chicken salad recipe you know and love. You can use poached chicken breasts and dice them or use leftover shredded chicken. This is one of my favorite ways to use any leftover chicken pieces from when I make Chicken ala Chingona for my family. Do not over complicate things, it's an easy recipe, make it as is or add your own twist. Personal preference welcomed here. Scroll down for some additional recipe variations and substitutions. Note there is no added sugar in this recipe, you get all the sweetness from the apple and sweetened cranberries.
- Cooked skinless chicken breasts, diced (rotisserie chicken from the grocery store works great here)
- Celery, finely chopped
- Green onion, finely chopped
- Apple, small diced
- Sweetened cranberries
- Sliced almonds
- Garlic powder
- Curry powder we love Madras Curry Powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
1. Start by making the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, juice of one lemon, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dressing while you prepare the salad.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the diced chicken breast, finely chopped celery, green onions, diced apples, sweetened cranberries, and sliced almonds.
3. Gently mix all the salad ingredients until they are well combined.
4. Retrieve the dressing from the refrigerator and pour it over the chicken salad mixture. Stir thoroughly to ensure all the ingredients are evenly coated.
5. Squeeze the juice from the second lemon over the salad and toss gently. Taste the salad, and if desired, add additional salt and pepper according to your preference.
6. Refrigerate your easy curry chicken salad until you're ready to enjoy it.
- Mayonnaise: You can substitute tangy yogurt for the mayonnaise, we suggest Greek yogurt.
- Nuts: Try using crunchy cashews, walnuts or pecans instead of sliced almonds for a different texture and flavor. Need nut free? Use salted roasted sunflower seeds.
- Cranberries: If you're not a fan of cranberries, golden raisins or dried cherries can be used as sweet alternatives.
- Onions: No green onion on hand, no worries. Red onion works great here.
- Apple: fresh grapes are the perfect substitute for crisp apples
- Kick up the heat: by adding a dash of cayenne pepper for a spicy twist.
- The vessel: Leave the bread, grab the romaine lettuce. A handful of fresh, crisp lettuce leaves for a lettuce wrap.
- Vegetarians: swap the chicken for chickpeas or crumbled tofu, and you will still get a delicious flavor.
- Large bowl
- Small bowl for the dressing
- Knife and cutting board
- Lemon juicer (optional)
This Curry Chicken Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. However, it's best when served fresh to maintain its delightful crunch and flavor.
For an extra burst of freshness, consider adding some chopped fresh cilantro or mint leaves just before serving. It will elevate the dish to a new level of taste and aroma.
Absolutely! Using leftover roast chicken is a fantastic way to cut down on preparation time and add extra flavor to the salad.
This salad is versatile and pairs well with a side of warm pita bread, naan, or a simple bowl of soup.
Yes, you can use vegan mayonnaise or a mixture of silken tofu and lemon juice to create a creamy, vegan-friendly dressing.
Curry Chicken Salad Recipe with Apples and Cranberries
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 small bowl for the dressing
- 1 whisk
- 1 Chef's knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 lemon juicer
- 2 cooked chicken breasts diced
- ¼ cup celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onion finely chopped
- ½ cup apple small diced
- ¼ cup sweetened cranberries
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 lemons zest and juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Make the dressing by adding the mayonnaise, lemon zest, juice of one lemon, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk until well combined and the lumps are gone.
- Cover and set aside in refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl, add the cubed chicken breast, chopped celery, chopped green onion, diced apple, cranberries and sliced almonds. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Pour dressing over chicken salad and mix until combined. Add the juice of the second lemon and toss. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to enjoy.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
- Always wash your hands before handling food.
- Ensure that the chicken is fully cooked, with an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
- Store the salad in the refrigerator at or below 40°F (4°C).
- If the salad is left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, discard it to prevent foodborne illness.