Indulge your taste buds in a delectable culinary journey with our savory beef (from our Instant Pot Chuck Roast Recipe) and potato hand pies. These golden pockets of flavor combine tender shredded beef, hearty red potatoes, and a symphony of aromatic seasonings, all wrapped in a flaky whole wheat pastry crust. Whether you're planning a cozy family dinner or a casual get-together, these hand pies are bound to impress.
Unleash your culinary creativity and savor the rich flavors of these beef and potato hand pies. With a combination of savory ingredients and a touch of flaky perfection, these hand pies are destined to become a staple in your recipe repertoire. Enjoy the satisfaction of crafting these delightful treats and sharing them with your loved ones.
- Avocado oil (or other cooking oil)
- Shallots (about 2 shallots)
- Cloves of garlic
- Black pepper
- Beef broth
- Red potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes
- Shredded beef (see Garlic Chuck Roast recipe)
- Sweet paprika
- Tamari or coconut aminos
- Tomato paste
- Frozen peas
- Pre-made whole wheat pastry crusts or other pre-made crust
- Cold water
- Flake sea salt
See recipe card for quantities.
See recipe card for complete instructions
- Avocado oil can be substituted with olive oil or any other cooking oil of your choice.
- Shallots can be replaced with finely diced onions.
- Beef broth and shredded beef can be substituted with vegetable broth and Impossible meat for a vegetarian version.
- Tamari or coconut aminos can be replaced with soy sauce.
- Experiment with different meats, such as chicken or turkey, for unique flavor profiles.
- Add a handful of grated cheese to the filling for a gooey, cheesy twist.
- Incorporate your favorite herbs, such as thyme or rosemary, to elevate the aroma.
- Large skillet
- Mini Muffin Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Store any leftover hand pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, place the hand pies in a preheated oven until warmed through.
Use any type of premade pastry dough with this recipe. Or if you want to take it up a notch, check out my Savory Whole Wheat Pastry Dough
Beef & Potato Hand Pies
- 1 Oven, Air Fryer
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or other cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shallots diced (about 2 shallots)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups beef broth
- 1 ½ cups red potatoes diced ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ cups shredded beef see Garlic Chuck Roast recipe
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 sheets pre-made whole wheat pastry crusts or other pre-made crust
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Flake sea salt
- Remove pie crust from the fridge and let come to room temperature.
- Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease a 12 count muffin tin
- Add the avocado oil and butter to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and let cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, allowing the shallots to lightly caramelize. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add minced garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the beef broth and red potatoes. The broth should just cover the potatoes. Allow potatoes to cook over medium/high heat with broth at a steady simmer, for 10 to 15 minutes until fork tender. Some liquid will evaporate. Add the shredded beef and mix. Add the paprika, tamari tomato paste, and frozen peas. Cook for one minute. Turn off heat. Stir beef and potato mixture thoroughly, allowing potatoes to slightly breakdown and encapsulate all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Unroll one room temperature pie crust from wrapping, so the wrapping is on the bottom between your cutting board and pie crust. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Take a piece roll it into a ball drop it into one muffin compartment. Press dough evenly into the bottom, going up on the side to create edges to hold the filling. Continue with the remaining 11 muffin compartments.
- Add two spoonfuls of the cooled beef and potato filling into each muffin tin, filling the entire muffin cup.
- Unroll the second pie crust. Keep the wrapping on the bottom between your cutting board and pie crust. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and flatten to fit the size of the muffin tin top.
- Mix egg and water to create a wash for pie crust tops. Gently brush the wash on top of each hand pie. Sprinkle lightly with flake sea salt.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a preheated 350˚ oven, until dough is cooked through and edges of pie crust have started to turn golden brown. Let hand pies cool.
- To remove, take a spoon and run it along the edge of the tin and scoop under pie crust, the hand pies should come right out of muffin tin. Serve with a salad for the perfect weeknight comfort meal.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove