Puff pastry is such a hero in the kitchen. It allows you to go from basic to fancy quickly. You can use it for savory dishes and desserts. It's a beautiful vessel for so much, including the summer's best tomatoes and asparagus. You can use jarred pesto, but I highly suggest making The Whole Revolution Asparagus Pesto because homemade is always best.
Asparagus Pesto Heirloom Tomato Tart
- 1 Oven
- 1 package Puff Pastry
- 2 cups Asparagus Pesto
- 2 large Heirloom or Beefsteak Tomatoes ¼ inch thick slices
- ¼ Gruyère shredded (remove for vegan)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake optional
- Preheat the oven to 425˚, or an air fryer to 400˚
- Defrost puff pastry according to package directions. Roll out puff pastry to barely overlap a full sheet pan (26.5 by 18.5 inches) or split the dough in half and use two half sheet pans, rolling out dough to barely overlap pans (18.5 by 13.5 inches).
- Cut along the edges of the sheet of dough to create a separation from the flat bottom and the sides. Lightly pierce the dough with the tines of a fork. Spread the pesto over the bottom, and lay tomato slices with at least 1 inch of space between tomatoes. Season the tops of the tomatoes with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Place in oven for 20-30 minutes, until the dough has browned and edges are crispy. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve as an appetizer or with a side salad for a perfect meal.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with [this recipe]:
We sometimes take for a granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience, that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove